We ordered our sofa on Thanksgiving weekend and were told it would take about three weeks for the sofa to be made and delivered. On Dec. 22, 2015, I called Living Spaces to find out when the sofa would be delivered. Customer Service told me that they had texted us on the 11th, and again on the 14th, to advise that the sofa was ready for delivery. We had not received any texts on our cell phones; I asked what phone number the messages were texted to. It turns out that LS was sending texts to our landline, and no one paid attention to the error responses that the texts were not delivered. We set up delivery to Dec. 24th, 2015.
On delivery, we saw the the back cushions were not fitting together correctly-one cushion was too large. Nelson C., the delivery man, jammed the cushion in between the adjacent cushions. We told him that we didn't think that was a good solution, and asked to return the sofa. He advised us to try to sofa for a few days, and if we weren't happy we could return the sofa within 7 days.
On Dec. 26th, I called LS Customer Service to report that there was a fabric snag on one of the toss pillows. I called again that day to advise that the toss pillows were made poorly, and the zipper seams were fraying; I also advised that we could see that the couch cushions were not made well-puckered seams, cushions that were of differing sizes, and sagging stuffing. LS set up an appointment for a "cushion technician" to come out and evaluate the pillows and cushions.
Art M. came out on Dec. 29th. He agreed that the toss pillow with the snagged fabric should be replaced. However, he dismissed our concerns about the sofa cushions, and spent perhaps 15 minutes pulling the stuffing sacks out of the cushions and restuffing them. He told us that we would have to do the same thing every few days. He said that all the cushions are made in the same way, and even if we exchanged the sofa, the same problems would remain. He finally agreed to take photos and send a report to Customer Service. After he left, I called Customer Service again to ask to return the sofa, due to inferior construction. She told me that they had to see the photos and the report.
LS would give a full refund if the sofa was found to be defective; if not found defective, there would be a 25% restocking fee if we returned the sofa. She said we would be a phone call within 24-48 hours.
On Jan. 5, 2016, I called LS Customer Service. I was transferred to the Warranty Group. Nancy told me that the defective toss pillow was being replaced, and that LS has the option to try to fix the defects 3 times. I again described the defects we are seeing in the couch-she said she could escalate the matter to a manager. The manager would call back within 24-48 hours.
At 1601 on Jan. 6th, the manager, Elizabeth called. However, due to rain and flooding, we had now power in our neighborhood, so we did not realize she had left a message until the following day.
On Jan. 7, I called Customer Service, and asked for the manager to call us back again. Elizabeth called back, and told us that skilled cushion technician had filed a report saying there is nothing wrong with the sofa. She told us that the back cushions are stuffed with feathers, and will sag over time, needing to be refluffed. If we had known that, we never would have purchased that style of sofa. She stated that LS would not accept the sofa in return as being defective; we could return the sofa for a 25% restocking fee. We asked her if we could send her photos of the cushions, or for another tech to come out, or if we could provide a report from an experienced upholstery company. She said no, LS would not send out another tech, would not accept our photos, or a report from anyone else.
At that point, I opened up one of the sagging cushions, and removed the stuffing sack. I described what I saw to Elizabeth-that the stuffing sack was approximately a quarter empty. I also advised her that I have been sewing for decades, including making pillows and cushions, and it is readily obvious that the sofa cushions were not made correctly. She said that LS was not going to do anything to repair the sofa, and would not refund the purchase amount. The only option is to return the sofa and pay the 25% fee. My husband and I said that was not acceptable to us, and asked for the matter to be escalated. She said she would put in a request for her manager Jackie to call us-again we can expect a call within 24-48 hours.
When we made the purchase, we were advised that if we were not happy with the color or size of the sofa, we could return it and pay the 25% fee. We did not realize that LS would not stand behind the quality of its products, and refuse to take any responsibility for defective fabrication.
More Review Details
|Advertised vs Delivered|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Customer service department
- Dont take care of their customer
- Reason of review:
- Poor customer service
- Product or service
- Sycamore Sectional Sofa
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "We recently purchased two expensive Soju side chairs. We love the chairs, but need extra cushions. The cushions are removable attached with Velcro. Obviously they are removable for cleaning or..."
- "The "10 year warranty" is a load of BS. After a month, the seam in my pillow opened up and the fill started to spill out. I called the company..."
- "Purchased leather Big Picture package ($1999.99) from Garner White with the leather protection coverage ($99.00). Leather Is crumbling between the cushions, arm rest, and back rest area (see pics). Product..."
- "I bought the product from my local CVS, and the product does not work! Its suppose to be those stick on "real" nail polish strips, but the product once opened..."
- "This company is a scam. They will offer you this product for just the cost of the shipping as a "trial" and then 2 weeks later will automatically withdraw $64.99..."
- "I bought some blankets that needed to be returned. They supplied me with the address and said the seller was responsible for shipping charges. they gave explicit instructions of how..."
- "We paid $500 for a Larson security door including installation by a contractor! This door was presented with a video of being beaten with a bat, and a crowbar with..."
- "I ordered a pair of basketball shoes and received a used and worn pair of shoes..."
- "Beware! I would not recommend Gateway Select Properties to anyone! The 'owner' Katherine Work is really a piece of Work! Do NOT, i repeat, DO NOT sign their faulty lease..."